Develop on "storage" and move to database for production

Can I start work on my local workstation using “-Drepo.path=storage” and then when I’m ready to deploy to production move to a database?

Is the only thing I’ll “lose” the “storage” content (text/images)? Not the configuration and web layouts/styles?

thanks,

John

If the auto-export is enabled, all the work you do in cms/console already created yaml files under repository/application module. If you create a distribution (mvn -Pdist) this module will be included and if you set the repo.bootstrap system property to true while you are deploying you can expect these yaml files to be bootstrapped on startup. So your storage folder does not matter in this case. Some links: https://www.onehippo.org/library/concepts/content-repository/content-bootstrap.html https://www.onehippo.org/library/concepts/configuration-management/introduction.html

Could you be more specific about the source and target databases exactly? Will you have both source and target in MySQL databases for example? The reason why I’m asking this is, it’s a lot easier to migrate content database if it’s the same DB vendor/version.

It is in detail. In general, however, if you migrate the content database from source to target properly, you won’t lose anything because the content database (in MySQL or PostgreSQL, …) is the single source of the truth and the others are redundant or recoverable data such as lucene index for querying, namespace registration data, etc. Lucene index can be recreated if empty, namespaces can be regenerated from your application modules, and so on.
By default, all the configuration/text/binary data are stored in the content database, and probably your web layouts/styles are stored in webfiles JAR module which is copied to the repository at runtime.

You also can refer to p4 in my presentation [1] about the architecture oveview and see [2] for configuring DBMS settings for your environment.

Regards,

Woonsan

[1] Hidden gems in Apache Jackrabbit and BloomReach Forge | PPT
[2] Configure Bloomreach Experience Manager for your Database Server - Bloomreach Experience Manager (PaaS/Self-Hosted) - The Fast and Flexible Headless CMS

Thank you. I will be going from the same type of database.

Your presentations and blog posts have been very helpful. I’m storing binaries on disk using your sftp approach.