Warnings - Ignore or Address

Hi,

I have this application built on Hippo. In ftl pages I haven’t addressed some conditional display of fields, so whenever my page reloads, I get a lot of warnings. Something like below:

FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related):
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] - Failed at: @hst.html hippohtml=item.featuredImage [in template “webfile:/freemarker/homepage.ftl” at line 502, column 48]
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] - Reached through: #include “homepage.ftl” [in template “webfile:/freemarker/home.ftl” at line 515, column 7]
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] ----. To see the stack trace, set ‘org.hippoecm.hst.servlet.HstFreemarkerServlet’ log-level to debug in log4j configuration or runtime via the logging servlet
[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] %d{HH:mm:ss} WARN [HstFreemarkerServlet] Failed to set JSP tag parameter “hippohtml” (declared type: org.hippoecm.hst.content.beans.standard.HippoHtml, actual value’s type: com.hippo.library.beans.IB). See cause exception for the more specific cause…

OR

FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related):
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] - Failed at: @hst.html hippohtml=link.featuredImage [in template “webfile:/freemarker/homepage.ftl” at line 892, column 48]
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] - Reached through: #include “homepage.ftl” [in template “webfile:/freemarker/home.ftl” at line 515, column 7]
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] ----. To see the stack trace, set ‘org.hippoecm.hst.servlet.HstFreemarkerServlet’ log-level to debug in log4j configuration or runtime via the logging servlet
[WARNING] [talledLocalContainer] %d{HH:mm:ss} WARN [HstFreemarkerServlet] The following has evaluated to null or missing:
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] ==> link.subtitle [in template “webfile:/freemarker/homepage.ftl” at line 910, column 45]
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer]
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] ----
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] Tip: It’s the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it.
[INFO] [talledLocalContainer] Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that’s sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing</#if>. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)??

The warning comes with the tip as well. But my pages does not seem to be affected. So, is it fine to ignore these warnings or it needs be addressed. What are the implications of ignoring them in long term scenario?
Any inputs would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rak

There is something broken on your template. Ignoring this may cause missing of broken parts of your page in the future. These messages will fill your log and make it difficult to diagnose other issues. Modifying this template will become hell as you don’t know what is or isn’t working. This should be fixed as a general maintenance issue. Either add null/empty checks or remove parts that are broken or unused.

Thanks for the response. Will address these issues then.