ChannelManager: dynamic layout for containers

Hi, is it possible to create a custom layout in the channel manager? My understanding is that a content editor only can add components to a predefiend container, but don’t add additional containers.
Mayve there is there a way to add a container to a container? So the contant editor could define the layout for each row, by choosing a specific wrapper container.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Ian,

adding containers to containers is not going to work. I have seen some implementations create several containers in rows, for example:

C

C C

C C C

C C C C

C

C C

C C C

C C C C

and so on for 10 rows or so. This allows editors to leave several of the containers empty and choose between 1, 2, 3 or 4 column layouts in each row.

Another solution I have seen is to have rows of horizontally spanning containers. The container items then have different rendering options (switch templates) to set their CSS to take up 100%, 50%, 33% or 25% of the row’s width.

Another approach is to leave more of the layout markup in the rich text fields of content documents, this will give the editors a lot of flexibility but would require them to be more html-savvy and they would lose some use of the Channel Manager template composer.

I’ll make sure that a more complete solution for this issue is still on the radar of the roadmap team.

HTH

William

Also check out switch templates.

https://www.onehippo.org/library/concepts/web-files/switch-template-support.html