Open UI Extensions: config per instance?

Hiya,

I’m having a look at the Open UI Extensions functionality in 14.x. It looks really great, and is a wonderful addition to the CMS, allowing easy integrations with other systems going forward.

Reading through the documentation here it allows one type of extension to be passed some string that will function as a configuration, which is great.

I’m wondering though, in case you want to use the same UI extension in multiple places with slightly different configurations, would it be possible to pass an additional instance-specific configuration string along from the document type configuration screens, instead of having to duplicate the extension in the ui-extensions folder?

For example, say I have a trivially simple “Label” ui extensions component that shows some text in the document type. I would like to specify a different text to show in different places, but not have to duplicate the ui-extensions definition. Is this currently possible through the interface, or perhaps by adding some property in the console?

Here’s hoping I was able to explain that properly.

Thanks for your response!

Cheers,

Marnix

Hi Marnix,

Thanks for posting your question on our community forum! At the moment it looks like we don’t really support your use case just yet. However, we do have some improvements coming out with brXM v14.3 (scheduled for release next week). From that version onwards, a document field extension can also read values from other fields in the document. This means that the extension can alter its behavior based on the value in a specific field (can be of any type). Would that work for what you’re trying to achieve?

Thanks,
Gijs

Hey Gijs,

That’s really interesting functionality, thanks for the heads up!

I guess it doesn’t quite cover my use case, but that’s okay. Is this something that could be packed into a feature request? I think it could be quite useful for the document-field variant of the Open UI Extensions, and it seems like it would fit in with the way other document fields behave (having field-specific additional configurations that is).

Thanks again for your reply, I really appreciate it!

Cheers,

Marnix

Hi Marnix,

Sure, I’ve created this ticket for your request, using your description (with slight modifications). Let me know if this is ok! Fair warning: it may be a while before we get around to it.

Thanks,
Gijs

Great, thanks!